Here is a handy guide to approve changes. The change approver – from the technical or management side can consider the following questions before approving the changes. It’s called as the 7 Rs of Change Management in ITIL terminology.
- Who raised the change?
- What is the reason for the change?
- What is the return required?
- What are the risks?
- What resources do we need?
- Who is responsible for implementing?
- What is the relationship between changes?
Although the questions sounds reasonably comprehensive, let me warn you that your organization might be looking it from a different angle for scrutiny. Be aware of what your process requires you to do, and use this as a guide to come up with further questions.